Saturday, January 14, 2012

Experiencing Shalom

"Shalom...It happens when we do the hardest work, the most secret struggle, the most demanding truth telling. In those moments of ferocity and fight, peace is born. Shalom arrives, and everything is new. And when you've tasted it, smelled it, fought for it, labored it into life, you'll give your soul to get a little more, and it is always worth it.
Shalom."
Cold Tangerines, Shauna Niequist
[emphasis mine]


This has been one of the slowest weeks I've experienced in a long time. On Tuesday morning, I went into oral surgery to have all four of my wisdom teeth removed. It was an interesting experience. I have been terrified for the last decade of this day happening, and to be honest, it was not all that bad. They had me take what they called a "happy pill" one hour before surgery. All I have to say is that within five minutes of taking that pill, I was pretty much gone. My memory from that point on is quite scarce, and very blurred. I guess they did their job well then.


Since Tuesday afternoon, I have been committed to my bed or the couch. I've slept for the majority of the last several days, and have been in between soft foods and Norco. Not the most exciting lifestyle, but it is proving to be a healthy recovery, so I really can't complain. 


Having this time alone has really giving me the opportunity to just relax. I suppose this couldn't have come at a better time...


Since leaving LiNK, I haven't really felt like I have had much down time. I know that sounds crazy, considering I don't have a job, but with the holidays, and my best friend's birthday, and random hang outs here and there, I haven't really stopped to just stop in the last several weeks. I am eager to jump back into the swing of things next week (assuming I am fully recovered in the next couple of days). I am feeling rather positive about this season of life I am in, and I am ready to face the world! Okay, I know I sound like a cheesy Disney character right now, but I don't care. I am learning, especially in the season that I have been in, that you need to take advantage of every good & silly moment that life presents to you. Fully embracing these moments are what will get us through the tough, more painful moments. I can definitely attest to this.


...& now for an update on "My Year of Good Health":


Spiritual:

  • I have met with my new small group of girls twice so far, and am truly blessed immensely by them already. We are all so excited for what the Lord is going to do through all of us in this season. Having a few girls to consistently hold me accountable and ask me how I am (truly) doing, is such a blessing in this season. I am beyond grateful. We are starting to go through Mark and Grace Driscoll's book, Real Marriage. I am excited about this, and yes, I know I am not married, but it is for all people! 
  • I had my first "meeting" with my new mentor, Sarah. I was a little nervous walking into it because we don't know each other very well, but within a few minutes of entering her adorable home and meeting her little boy, I immediately felt comfortable. Sarah is truly a God-send, I am confident of this. Having a mentor is something I've prayed for, and it's just remarkable to see God meet this need in my life, in this season. I am also excited to see where this relationship goes!
  • I've been reading through the book of Romans everyday, and that alone has been such an encouragement to me. There are days where the scriptures will truly speak to my life, and then there are days where I am just simply learning the Word more. I am kind of a (not-so-closet) Theology nerd. I really wish I could just go to seminary without paying thousands of dollars and also if I could just skip the whole undergrad thing...
Physical:
  • Well, I already knew this category would be my hardest. I haven't done much of anything to improve my physical health for 2012. But! It's constantly on my mind, so that is good, right? I took my niece on a nice bike ride, while I rollerbladed last week and that was really neat. I definitely want to do more of those types of activities. I also went rock climbing with some new friends last week. That. Was. Intense. Let me tell you! I am pretty sure that I am still sore from that day. It was extremely fun and challenging, so I would love to do that more often as well. Let's just say, I am a work in progress in this area of "good health" ... :)
Emotional:
  • I am still meeting with my counselor/therapist once a week, and each week I've gained so much from our sessions. For the last 6 weeks, we have had a main focus and topic of discussion which pertains to the season that I keep saying I am in. This has been incredibly helpful and encouraging. I think we are heading in a different direction now, which is alright by me. We are discussing career possibilities and beginning to focus on the next season of my life. It pumps me up!
  • I have continued to journal (almost) daily. Sometimes, like this week because of my recovery, I have missed a few days. I am so glad that I have been journaling though. It's been so helpful to process my day to day emotions and thoughts, and also my victories and struggles. I also just realized, this is the longest conseecutive amount of time that I've journaled (2 months! Whoo-hoo!).
Financial:
  • As of today, I am in zero debt - well, sort of. All of my debt is now to my mother, which don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel all that great. But, not being in debt to a credit card is one of the best feelings in the world. My mother is a big, big blessing in my life, and I am grateful for her. Financial freedom! Praise the Good Lord.
  • I received a notification that I qualify for unemployment. This is a huge relief as well. It won't be much, but it will be enough. 
  • I am still in need of a job. I am not sure what field I want to go into, but I am definitely open to wherever God wants me. Taking suggestions, dear friends! ;)
That is about all for now. I know this was a rather long post, but that is what I get for not updating that often. 

I hope you are all enjoying this new year, 2012 is proving to be a great, refreshing one.


No comments:

Post a Comment