Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Desire is Not Enough

Nothing can satisfy the entire man but the Lord's love, and the Lord's own self. To embrace our Lord Jesus, to dwell in His love, and be fully assured of union with Him, this is all in all. Dear reader, you need not try other forms of life in order to see whether they are better than the Christian's: if you roam the world around, you will see no sights like a sight of the Savior's face.
-Charles H. Spurgeon


I truly look forward to reading my daily devotions from Spurgeon via my iPhone "Daily Help" application (I highly recommend it to all iPhone users - it's great and free!). Today's devotion was just what I needed to hear. I've been in this place lately, where my desire is God, and God Himself. However, I am learning that to have a desire is simply not enough. Our desires need to be pursued by action and a follow through.

...Praise God for grace, amen?

That is the beauty of life as a follower of Jesus. It's not something that we just "accept" and have a few years to get it right, and then it's smooth sailing the rest of our lives. I've learned that once we allow Christ to take over our lives, it's a continual journey until we move on to eternity with Him. As the great hymn, Come Thou Fount, says, we are "prone to wander"; we are like sheep. But, our great Shepherd is there to guide us on the right paths. Not only does He guide us, but He pursues us. When even one of His sheep go astray, He goes after them, and brings them back to where they belong. That, my friends, is the unconditional love of our Lord.

As 2011 is approaching, I am preparing myself to start this year off right. I am not making any resolutions, per se, but I really do desire to have a different outlook on what this year has in store for me. I want to live in expectancy that God is truly capable, and willing, to make a huge transformation in my life. I want to have faith that He will place a calling on my life, as I ask Him to. I desire all of these things. With this desire, I am praying for persistence on my end, and obedience to wherever He is directing me. Desire is not enough.

I'm not too sure who reads this anymore, but whoever you are, I challenge you to reflect on this last year, and see what God was teaching you. If you aren't a believer, this still can apply to you. What did you learn from 2010? Maybe you made a few choices, that you wish you could take back. Wherever you are at, reflect. Now, look ahead. 2011 is a new year. That is something to be excited about! God is moving, will you allow Him to move within your own life? It's a decision I made almost 12 years ago, and I've never regretted it.

Keep fighting, friends. Always, fight on.

No comments:

Post a Comment