Saturday, December 10, 2011

Waiting


"Beloved, when we are brought to a thirsting condition, we are sure to turn to the fountain of life with eagerness." Charles Spurgeon

Wait,

Remain. Rest. Stop. Halt. Pause. Anticipate. Yearn.

Oh, how all of these words ring so true in my life right now. I never realized how being in a season of waiting can really make your life seem as if it is being played in slow motion. It's as if you're in the middle of a Checker game (I feel like Chess would be a more appropriate analogy, but I don't know how to play Chess, so I'll stick to Checkers), and you are waiting on your opponent to make their move, but they pause the game to go on vacation. You know they'll be back, eventually, but you really can't make your next move until you see what they do. So, you wait. 

Sure, that example is silly, but that is exactly how I feel in life right now. Normally I would be filled with frustration and anxiety, but instead of leaning into those dissatisfying emotions, I am leaning into Jesus and His Word. Never has the Word of God been so refreshing and relevant to my life than it is now. There are so many scriptures and passages that speak about waiting.

"Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who wait for the Lord."
Psalm 31:24 

"The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him."
Lamentations 3:25

As Spurgeon says, "we are brought to a thirsting condition", and I believe that is exactly the place I am in. Every night, every morning, I find myself still waiting. Although at times it can be so defeating, I find myself going straight to the Lord for strength and comfort. The truth is, I've surrendered all that I am to Him, and have asked Him to take control over my life, so I have to be reminded of this. I am in good hands, in fact, I am in the best of hands

I encourage you to continue to pursue patience and righteousness, if you find yourself in a season of waiting. Don't try to escape it, don't try to run from it. I've done all of those things far too many times, and I am done with taking that route. I am now on the path of waiting, and seeking Jesus, daily. His will over mine, at all times.

I wait because I've been called to do so, but I also wait because there is something in front of me that is worth waiting for. Stay focussed in the season that you're in, there is purpose.

"My goal is God Himself, by any cost, dear Lord, by any road."

No comments:

Post a Comment