Friday, May 18, 2012

My Health, My Responsibility

I don't know if it's the fact that summer is right around the corner or not, but health & wellness are the topics of many conversations around me. And you know what? I'm loving it! I've never been one who is consistently healthy or fit. I have my moments, but they are very few and far in between, and last for about a good day or two, and then it's back to Coca-Cola and hot cheetos for me (my weaknesses).

If you recall, one of my four goals/resolutions for 2012 was to be physically healthy. I'm nowhere near where I hope to be by the end of this year, but I am beginning to make stronger efforts. The apartment complex I am living at currently has a gym and a few pools. This week I decided I needed to make use of them while I'm still living here (this is a temporary location for me). So on Tuesday evening, after a long debate with myself over going or not, I decided to march down to the gym and just go for it! Let me just say, I do not like working out. I don't like sweating, I don't like the feeling of my muscles tearing (I'm probably being dramatic) and I don't like people staring at me, because more often than not I am probably doing something incorrect. But! I had a sweet playlist going, and I felt pretty good after I dove in. I ended up spending an hour-ish in the gym, did a lot of cardio and worked out my arms and legs, and also my core/abs. My aim is not to look like a skeleton by any means, I am aiming for health and that I can feel good when I look in a mirror. Yesterday I didn't do anything crazy, but I ate well and I walked with my family to and from the local Subway. It was a decent walk (for me) and there were hills involved. Today I knew I needed to get some form of cardio in to keep up the momentum. I didn't have it in me to go to the gym, so I went to the heated pool. I did lots of laps, and even did sit ups in the water (feet over the edge style). I wasn't too sure if I was getting a good work out or not, but I felt exhausted by the end, so that has to count for something, right?

Anywho, I am hoping to keep this going. I don't want to set drastic goals for myself, but I do want to feel better. It's encouraging to know that I have a couple close friends who are in pursuit of this very thing. I feel like I am a part of a movement of health! Haha, so if you guys have any tips on health & wellness, feel free to send them my way!

XO
Brenda


2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Bren! I am in the midst of starting my own little health challenge. You should share your work out playlist! I am in need of some new music to work out to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! What type(s) of music do you usually listen to when you work out? I totally am all over the place when I work out when it comes to music. I think it's good to mix up genres to keep you pumped, haha. That's my logic at least :)

      Delete