Thursday, May 30, 2013

My First Guest Post

My dear friend, Sarah Carter of groundswell, asked me to write a guest post on her blog. She recently had a beautiful baby girl, so she wanted to take a little break from the blogging world. Sarah was my mentor and walked me through some rough and beautiful seasons of my life. I am so grateful that the Lord allowed us to meet. She now resides with her husband, Steve Carter, and her two children Emerson (4) and Mercy June (1 week) near Chicago.

She allowed me to write about anything I wanted to. Lately I've been battling with staying true to yourself as a creative soul. Here is my guest post for Sarah's blog:

>>> >>>


We have all heard these famous words from William Shakespeare, “to thine own self be true”. In the midst of an advancing world and emerging social media trends, it has become much harder to stay true to who you are. As a writer, I struggle with finding my own voice. I am influenced by so many amazing writers and bloggers around me, that sometimes it’s difficult to feel adequate enough in my own writing.
I was made to create, to make, to build. God has wired each and everyone of us so uniquely and we will spend the majority of our lives discovering the ways in which we are wired. For me, I’ve always chased after creativity, whether that be through songwriting, performing, painting, writing or simply just making something. I find an immense amount of joy in creating something out of nothing. When I see a blank page, I naturally just want to put ink to paper. While this is such a joyous thing for me, it can also be the very thing that makes me feel insufficient.
It’s the moments when I sit down to create, and can’t, or the times where I attempt to adjust the ways I write because I don’t feel my posts will attract enough people… these are the moments I feel like giving up, or worse, giving in.
So, however you are wired, stay true to who you are. If you have a creative soul, pursue the very things that inspire you to create, regardless of how the world responds. God has uniquely wired you to be exactly who you are, where you are. You’d be doing both Him and yourself a disservice if you chose to give up, or give in.
Create something beautiful today,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment