Thursday, March 20, 2014

journal day: my struggle to be healthy

We all encounter challenges on a daily basis. You may consider yours something small, like having enough time in the day to accomplish everything you set out to do, or it may be a bit bigger- perhaps something you have to overcome mentally or emotionally, or even a struggle when dealing with a difficult person. Whatever the case, take a look at your daily life- what would you say is your biggest challenge? Or if you have a past struggle you were able to overcome, how did you do it? 
This week, write about a challenge you currently deal with on a day to day basis, 
or discuss one you managed to get past.

[Every Sunday, Dani from Sometimes Sweet, posts a new writing prompt. Join in, if you'd like to!]

[source]


The last couple of Journal Day prompts have not spoken to me, so I didn't write posts for them. When I saw this one, I quickly felt like I didn't have a "daily challenge", so I couldn't think of what to write. As I sat on it for a few days, and really looked at my day to day, I soon realized I do face a daily challenge. It's simple and I'm sure it is something most of our society faces on a daily basis: being healthy.

I am your classic case of "starting over" on Mondays, looking up different fads of cleanses and working out hard for a couple weeks, then binging out on some greasy Mexican food. I am that person. 

I don't know why I'm like this, or why I can't simply choose to be healthy. I don't come from a super healthy family, but that is in no way an excuse. You see, I want to be healthier, and I want to look and feel better about my body. But, my struggle lies in the consistency and commitment of fulfilling these desires. 

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be healthy. Seeing those words literally makes me feel depressed. I hate that! I've been given ONE body, and ONE life, and I believe that is a true gift. When I don't fight to be healthy, the only person I'm destroying is myself. If that's not enough of a self-wakeup-call, then I don't know what is, or what will ever be.

Sometimes I wonder what it will take for me to be healthy. Is it just going to be that one day I'll have this epiphany? Or, will I be in the hospital receiving life altering news, and at that point it might be too late? I'm not trying to be dramatic or even extreme with this, but sometimes that is what it comes down to.

Sigh. So, there is my daily struggle. These are the two steps I am making to work on this struggle:

1. Today, I'm meeting with a Physical Trainer. He will assess my health & nutrition. I am pretty sure I'll be working out with him, too. 
2. I'm signing up for a 3-week trial run with a local "Boot Camp" fitness center. My sister-in-law has been doing it for several months now, and she highly recommends it. I'm excited to give this a try! 

That's all I have for now, and I'm more than okay with that. As you heard me say before, I'm that extreme person; the one who overcommits to something drastic and then quits. I don't want to be that person anymore. All I want is to be healthy.

XO
Brenda

2 comments:

  1. I think so many of us struggle with this Brenda! You're someone who is always trying to be better, which I really admire. :)

    Good luck with your boot camp! But I mean, there's still always room for a Mexican coke every now and then right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea! There will always be room for Mexican Coke… and, chips, sweets, mexican food, pizza, ice cream… in moderation, of course ;)

      XO

      Delete