Friday, March 14, 2014

life is meant for getaways

Jamey and I have been busy just about every weekend for the last two months. Date nights were placed on the back burner, and our weekends would just fly by. I mentioned to Jamey that I was craving some genuine quality time with him. I love my husband for a billion reasons, but one of the things I love most is how intentional he is. He listens to my needs, and he does his best to meet them. 

Last week, I told him that we had zero plans that weekend. He told me that he actually had a surprise planned for me that Saturday. I was so excited! I love surprises. He wouldn't give me anymore information, and I didn't even bother to ask, because I didn't want to ruin it! I had a couple guesses in my mind of where we were going, but I didn't bug him about it.

While I was getting ready Saturday morning, he went to his parents to pick up a memory foam mattress, because we were planning to sleep in our car that night. We hit the road around 9:30am. We got on the 5 North, so that eliminated San Diego (one of my guesses). I was on cloud nine. I had my favorite person beside me, good jams playing, the most perfect weather, and a day full of mystery & adventure in front of us… I couldn't be happier!

We had been driving for a couple hours, and since I happen to be horrible with directions/geography, I had no clue where we were. I eventually saw signs for Santa Barbara, and he started to pull off the freeway. He made it clear to me that this was just a stop. He drove around for a bit, and then eventually pulled into a brewery parking lot! We were going beer tasting! :) We've been wanting to do this more lately, so I was really excited! It was an awesome brewery/tasting room called Figuerora Mountain Brewing Co. It was perfect. We bought a flight of four different beers. It was so fun to relax and be in a new atmosphere. Plus, drinking good beer is always a perk!




We got back on the road, and I was still clueless as to where we were going. An hour later, I see a sign for Solvang, and it hit me; I knew where we were going! Solvang is such a cute, little danish town about an hour from Santa Barbara. We walked around and looked at all the precious shops. I love that when you're walking around Solvang, you feel like for a moment in time, you're not in America anymore. That was the best part! Another thing I noticed about Solvang was, you can't walk further than 5 feet without running into either a winery, coffee shop or bakery. Man, you're set! 


Solvang is the definition of cute


We decided we wanted to end our evening in Santa Barbara. We didn't have any set plans, but that's what made it so fun! I kept saying to Jamey, "we can do anything we want!". I believe there's a time for plans, and a time for spontaneity. This was a time for spontaneity. We looked up a drive-in theater, and found one right outside of SB. They were showing the Lego Movie, which Jamey's been wanting to see, so it was perfect. I mentioned earlier that we were planning to sleep in our. This wasn't because we couldn't stay in a hotel, but because we wanted to do something we'd never done before! We have a Kia Soul, so we laid our seats down flat and filled the trunk area with blankets and pillows to make it even with the seats. Then, we laid a memory foam on top of that and voilĂ ! we had a make-shift bed :) After we watched the movie, we started driving around SB to find a spot to go to sleep. We ended up in a rather nice neighborhood, overlooking the ocean. I'd say our spot was better than most hotels we could have stayed in. We woke up to the sun rising over the Pacific and, my God, was that breathtaking.

The view of the Pacific from our backseat

I loved our little surprise getaway. It was so much fun, and it was really needed. I love taking the time to enjoy our lives and the spare time we have. It's so important to invest and be intentional with one another. Now, it's my turn to plan a little surprise getaway for Jamey, and I can tell you my brain is already filling up with fun ideas!

XO
Brenda

Solvang is also full of awesome photo ops
Babe alert.


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that sunset is real! So beautiful.

    And I know I told you this already, but you and Jamey inspire me to be a better girlfriend! Can't wait to plan a surprise adventure for Keith, though I'm TERRIBLE at spontaneity.

    ReplyDelete