Thursday, February 27, 2014

journal day: the song that changed it all

It's the second week of the Journal Day series, which was started by the wonderful Dani Hampton of Sometimes Sweet. Here's this week's prompt:

We all have songs that really mean something to us. Often just hearing it can take us right back to that place and we are able to re-experience the memory associated with the song. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but either way music has the ability to really draw things out of us and evoke deep emotion. Choose a song that has a particular meaning to you. Tell the story of the memory associated with the song, sharing as much detail as you can. Take us there; let us experience it with you.







June 22nd, 2013.

That was the day that everything changed for me. I woke up that morning with the biggest smile on my face, knowing that in just a matter of hours, my best friend would become my husband. I had been waiting my entire life for this day (yes, I was that girl). I had always dreamed of my wedding day being absolutely beautiful and perfect. When Jamey proposed to me, those dreams started to become a reality. We began to plan out all the details of our special day. Music soon became a constant theme for our wedding. Jamey and I initially connected over our love for music, and that carried on into our dating relationship. Because of that, we wanted to make sure that music had a strong presence at our wedding, and we were very intentional with the songs we chose to represent our relationship.

When it came time to choose which song I'd walk down the aisle to, it was a no-brainer. Death Cab For Cutie has been one of my top favorite bands since my early high school days. I am about to sound like every DCFC fan, but I have always felt like Ben Gibbard just got me. His lyrics, his melodies, the way he orchestrated every detail in every song, just made so much sense to me. Specifically, Transatlanticism. The title track of the 2003 album soon became my favorite DCFC song. Every time I'd hear this song, I'd either cry or want to cry. I never had a reason as to why these emotions would come over me, but I always knew one day it would end up making sense.

When I told Jamey this was it, this was the song, he immediately agreed. The problem with choosing this song was that it is almost eight minutes long. I did the math and realize that was just way too long for a song to walk down the aisle to, even with having our wedding party walk down to it as well. I told Jamey I wanted to make this work somehow. I also wanted to walk down the aisle at a very specific part of the song. Jamey said he'd take care of it, and I knew he would, I was just afraid that I didn't really give him an easy job.

With his magical editing ways, Jamey sent me his own version of Transatlanticism. It was four minutes long, and it was instrumental, except for the part that I wanted to walk down to. I cried when I heard it. It was perfect and so beautiful. 

Back to June 22nd, 2013…

Moments before it was time for me to walk down the aisle, I was peaking out of the bridal room, and I was all alone. Our bridal party was all lined up, ready to go. I could see our guests patiently waiting, and most importantly, I saw my groom waiting for me. He looked so handsome. Everything was perfect. I was nervous, naturally, but hearing the instrumental tune of Transatlanticism playing instantly calmed my nerves. I knew it was time for me to begin walking out. The plan was for me was to wait behind this beautiful wooden divider, so that no one could see me until it was time. I knew the exact part of the song I was going to walk out to, so I was just waiting there anxiously. I could hear the music so clearly and for that instant, time just froze. I reflected back to all the hundreds of times I had heard this song and had felt so emotional. I finally knew the reason. It was as if my heart always knew this would be the song that would guide me down the aisle to marry my best friend. 
The moment where all the guests were instructed to stand and turn to watch me make my appearance had happened,

// I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer
I need you so much closer //

My moment was here. The moment to begin walking towards Jamey, and seeing everyone there to support us and our marriage was happening. My dreams were coming true, and all of this was happening to the most perfect soundtrack,

// So come on, come on
So come on, come on
So come on, come on
So come on, come on //


XO,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment