Tuesday, August 19, 2014

adult decisions, part one: brenda goes to college

One thing that I've noticed since entering into my late twenties is, you start to think about things years in advance. You begin to weigh out the effects that your decisions will have, far more than you did when you were in your early twenties. You realize that you're closer to 30 than you are 20, and that hits like a swift punch to the stomach. It's a good thing, though. I like the reality check, and I like how it makes me think twice about all of my decisions. 

This fall, Jamey and I are going back to school. I just signed up for my first class, and I am experiencing lots of emotions. It's hard to think and plan so far into the future. At this point, I probably won't finish college until I am 34 or 35. I think I am okay with that. 

[source unknown]


When I was in my early twenties, I came to conclusion that college was not for me. I knew I would just have to work much harder than everyone else to build a career for myself (not having a degree can be a real set-back). Now, here I am at 27 and I am starting college for the... honestly, I've lost count of how many times I've attempted this. But, that is okay! 

I'm doing this for me. 
I am doing this for our family's future. 
I am doing this to prove to myself that I am capable of pushing through, even when I want to quit. 
I am doing this so that when our children grow up, they can be confident in knowing that you really can do anything you put your mind to. 

Everything you do now will effect your future, and for me that means our family's future, too. That is enough motivation to get me through this journey.

Excuse me, while I get a bit cheesy for a minute...

Brenda, 

You are about to embark on a journey that you never thought you were capable of doing. It's going to be really tough. You're going to have to create time for school, and homework, and studying (oh Lord, studying...). But, you can do this. You're going to have to find a good balance between your marriage, work, school, family, friends and everything in between. It will seem defeating at times, and I'm sure you will want to quit in those moments. Just remember that you're doing this for so many reasons that are important to you. Remember that these years are going to pass anyway. So, you will either be just 35, or you will be 35 with a degree. You've got this.

[source]


I would love to hear any advice and tips on getting through college. I am practically starting from scratch, so I can use all the help I can get! 

XO
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment