Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sabbatical Goals!

If you've been following my blogs lately, then you know that I am currently on a month long sabbatical from work. I can't even begin to explain how much of a blessing this has been. It's been a little over a week since my sabbatical began, and to tell you the truth, I haven't done much at all. But, that's been the beauty of it! I've spent time with close friends, slept in just about every single day (oops!) and I've watched movies and tv shows. At first, this frightened me - I definitely don't want to look back on my month off from work and say that I slept a lot and watched So You Think You Can Dance (although, I really love this show). I want to be able to say that I did things, I had adventures, I grew spiritually and that I had a new found excitement for the rest of 2011. So, I am glad that I got all the 'R&R' stuff out of the way; bring on the summer adventures!

[taken in South Carolina when I was on tour - a great time full of adventure]


I figured in order to actually have a productive sabbatical, I should make a list! So, here it goes:

'30 Goals in 30 Days!'
*in no particular order


1. Finish reading Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist
2. Go on a vacation
3. Swim in the ocean (it's been FOUR years since I have been in the ocean. Time to face my fears!)
4. Go surfing for the first time
5. Go on several bike rides
6. Make a day trip (by train) to LA
7. Learn to celebrate turning 24, rather than dreading it. I want to do something different this year, so let's see how it goes!
8. Write more music
9. Paint. Paint. Paint!
10. Spend time with my niece
11. Perform with Pilgrims [my band] :) open mics, or shows, doesn't matter to me
12. Blog/write more
13. Try a new food/restaurant
14. Read & Study scripture more
15. Find a bathing suit that I love and that 'loves me' - comfortable, and I feel comfortable in
16. Start a new hobby
17. Cook at least one 'good' meal for my friends
18. Take lots of photos
19. Properly take care of my skin. I've definitely slacked on this, time to break that habit!
20. Go on at least a few solo trips/adventures
21. Have a picnic
22. Start (and finish) a DIY project
23. Do something I've never done before (surfing doesn't count)
24. Go on a hike
25. Get a massage
26. Start meeting with new small group (this is finally starting!!)
27. Discover something new about my city [Long Beach, CA]
28. Attend some sort of festival (music, art, etc.)
29. Go to a museum that I've never been to before
30. Go on a brewery tour

& that should do it! There are definitely some items on that list that are more important to me than others, but it's my hope that I can complete all 30 of them! At the very least, this will keep me busy and focussed. I love making lists. I've learned if you write it down, it will get done.

Do you have any goals for the summer? I'd love to hear them! Also, if there are any items on this list that you'd like to join me on, please let me know! I'd love the company <3

I love quotes, if you hadn't figured that out yet. Here is a great quote for this season in my life, I hope it can motivate you to make a goal list too.

"When people say to me: "How do you do so many things?" I often answer them, without meaning to be cruel: "How do you do so little?" It seems to me that people have vast potential. Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence or take the risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the telly and treat life as if it goes on forever."
-Philip Adams


Lord, thank You for this season. May You be glorified by my choices.

<3

3 comments:

  1. umm can I do all of them?! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca!
    Yessss :)

    PS- Do you blog? I feel like you'd be a great blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm really sad i just saw that! i hope your month was incredible though. hmm..not yet. nothing has inspired me as of yet, but someday!

    ReplyDelete