Wednesday, July 16, 2014

summer getaways: palm springs

p a l m  s p r i n g s  ;  "the people are the city"



My best friend, Becky, and I have been wanting to plan a get-away for a while; just the two of us. We knew we wanted it to be close enough to drive to, but far enough away where we felt like it was an actual vacation. Living in Orange County, we have the best of most worlds. The city, the beach, the mountains and the desert. We chose the desert, and started planning a two night/three day trip to Palm Springs. 

If you know me, then you know I always look for a deal. I use Travelzoo as a good tool to find the cheapest hotels. I found the cutest little boutique hotel called Alcazar. It had great reviews, good rates and it was right downtown. I was especially sold once I saw that "townie bikes" came with our room purchase. Yes, please! 

You know how there are so many different types of vacations? There are the ones where you plan out every detail, and there are ones where you do lots of excursions and touristy things. And, then there are also the ones where you go with zero plans, except to swim, relax and have fun. That was the getaway we both wanted. 

On our way out to Palm Springs, we made a stop at an awesome brewery called Hangar 24. I recommend the Orange Wheat! We went once before for my bachelorette, so we wanted to go again. It was nice to make a pit stop to get our vacation started off on the right foot!

Hangar 24 - Orange Wheat


We got to Palm Springs on Sunday afternoon, and scoped out our hotel. It was the perfect place for a relaxing trip. The property is quaint and has only 30-something rooms, with one pool and one jacuzzi. I would definitely recommend it, and especially going on a Sunday-Tuesday. Better rates and less people! The hotel is very modern, and the landscaping was beautiful. On the hotel property, there are two other really neat places: Cheeky's & Birba. Cheeky's is a famous breakfast/lunch spot in Palm Springs, so we knew we needed to go there! Birba is this bar and lounge, with really neat cocktails and an urban atmosphere. I loved that we didn't have to go very far for anything. We could walk or bike everywhere. That's my kind of vacation! 

becky // townie bikes // our hotel

french toast breakfast at Cheeky's

While we were in Palm Springs, I told Becky that I wanted to branch out with my choice of drinks. I am a beer girl, and that has always been my go-to. I wanted to try different drinks, and step out of my comfort zone a bit! I even tried a Churrotini (great concept, but I disliked it so much that I sent it back!). Our go-to for this trip turned out to be something I never thought I'd enjoy: margaritas! I've never been a fan of tequila. Maybe it was the fact we were on vacation in the desert, or that it was 100+ degrees, but I was really craving margaritas! I'm a fan now :)

homemade margaritas, thanks to Trader Joe's


Overall, this was one of my favorite little getaways. It was great to spend quality time with my best friend, and to embrace a little R&R. Palm Springs is such a neat little desert town, and I look forward to going back someday.

getting ready for the pool!

riding bikes around town

XO
Brenda



No comments:

Post a Comment