Friday, January 25, 2013

On Dating Dilemmas [new blog feature]

Dating can be simultaneously one of the best and worst things ever. It can be the very thing that causes you to have sweet butterflies, but it can also cause you to have awful panic attacks. 

Let me start off by saying that I am in no way an expert on dating (who is?) but I have had my share of dating experiences; some good, some not so good. I've definitely made many mistakes, and I've also made some decisions that I am very proud of. All in all, I've walked away from my dating life with lots of lessons learned, and I love sharing my wisdom (or something like that) with anyone with an open ear. Truth be told, I would not have been able to make it through the chaos of dating without the advice and wisdom of those who had gone before me. 

So, here I am, trying something new...



For a while, I've been wanting to start a blog feature, but could never think of something good enough. This week I was texting with a good friend of mine who was seeking some dating advice. She was nervous as she was preparing for a date with someone she met online. I was doing all that I could to put her at ease and calm her nerves. Here's how our convo went...

"I just don't want it to be awkward."

"I would just say to not have expectations, and just relax. At the very least this can be a good meal with a person you can have a good conversation with! Have a few conversation topics that you can go to, if need be."

----

"Ok. It's all done. Wasn't bad. But now I don't know how to tell him I'm not interested :( "

"I'd say if you are completely certain that there is no interest on your end at all, then you just need to be straight up with him. Be polite, thank him for his company, but because you respect his feelings, you want to let him know that you don't want to pursue anything with him."

"I'm sure. But I don't want it to seem like I used him for dinner or anything. It's just really hard. I think he really likes me."

"Don't think too much about it! His feelings may get hurt, but all you can do is be honest and sincere. He'll appreciate that in the long run, I promise. -- I can't stand when people just blow people off. I think it's so cowardly. Especially with online dating. Please don't be one of those people."

----

...& that's where the idea hit me. I'd like to experiment with starting a dating advice feature on my blog. I have no idea how it will work, or if my readers will even enjoy it. But, I want to try. I will start off by sharing some of my own personal experiences, and then over time if people have questions or scenarios that they are in and need advice, then I would love to address them the best I can! 

Like I said from the beginning, I am not an expert in dating, but I have experienced a lot in my 25 years of life. I think it's such a beautiful thing when people share their stories; the good, the bad and the damn right ugly. 

I will begin my putting myself out there, vulnerable and raw. I encourage you to join me! I'd love to see what this turns into. So, be brave! Do you have a tough dating situation that you are in? Do you need someone to give you a unique perspective? Leave a comment, and let me know! [You can always leave it as "anonymous" if you don't want to leave your name.]

Let the dating advice begin! 

XO,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment