Friday, November 22, 2013

back to my roots: why i write

I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving. Scratch that. I can't believe it's already fall. Where did time go? Five months ago today, Jamey and I got married. THAT to me is insane. So much has happened since that perfect day, and yet I haven't documented even half of it all. Now, let me clarify something first. I don't believe I need to document every little moment for the world to see. Frankly, I enjoy keeping some of those moments to myself; for my own head and heart to know. But, when I think about the reason I even started this blog being to document my life, and all of the precious moments, it makes me sad to know that I haven't done the best job at it.

I recently read a post that inspired me to write again. Sometimes I can fill my head with nonsense and lies about why I shouldn't write. I'll tell myself, "no one reads it anyway", "you're nobody special. Everything you write about has already been written, and probably said better than you", or "People will think you're obsessed with yourself". I say these are lies, because no one has ever told MY story. No one can understand what my life is like, because it is mine. 

friend of mine recently re-posted a statement that hit home for me. It said, 

"You should write. Even though everything's already been said beautifully. Even though there's nothing new under the sun. Even so. Because there may be nothing new to say, but if you haven't spoken up yet - then there is a new VOICE to hear. That's all we have - our voices. No two are the same. No one sees the world QUITE like you do, and no one else can tell us your story QUITE like you could. You are our only chance to know you. You're it. If you yearn to use your voice and you don't - we will all suffer for it. Be brave. Be audacious enough to consider that your story is worth telling and your voice is worth hearing. Your story and your voice are worthy of occupying some space in this world."

I want to be a consistent writer. Not because I want to make a lot of money doing it, or because it happens to be the hip thing to do nowadays. I want to write because I feel it deep within my bones to express my thoughts. I want to write so that my children, and my children's children can reflect back on my life and have an understanding of where they came from. 
I want to document the joys and the pains to maybe, just maybe, 
inspire someone to believe that they are capable of doing great things. 

five months ago, I married my better half


I want to stop feeling as if there are boundaries or rules to the rhyme and reason I write. No one is holding me back, only myself. It's time to break free of those lies
and begin to write when I want, and what I want.


I love you all, and I appreciate your support while I walk through this sometimes rugged journey.

XO
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment